Tax Documentation Checklist

  • W2s and record of other income (Forms 1099):
  • interest and dividend income
  • self-employment earnings
  • unemployment compensation
  • refunds of state income taxes
  • social security benefits
  • pension income
  • Report of gross proceeds from the sale of stocks & bonds (Form 1099-B), as well as the date you purchased the fund, fund’s cost, dividends reinvested, and any return of principal.
  • Rental property income and expenses.
  • K-1s from partnerships & S-Corporations
  • “Traditional” IRA contributions made during the tax year, and prior to April 15th of the next year.
  • Health Coverage Statement (1095-A, 1095-B, 1095-C)
  • Mortgage Interest paid (Form 1098)
  • Itemized Deductions:
    • Charitable Contributions
    • Medical expenses & insurance (if greater than 7.5% of your income)
    • Job-related expenses not reimbursed by your employer (travel, meals, supplies, auto mileage, entertainment, office in the home, etc)
    • Job Search Expenses
    • Union Professional dues, education/seminars; subscriptions, licenses, safety deposit box. Margin Interest Paid
    • Tax Preparation Fees paid for prior year
  • Child Care expenses, and tax ID number of the day care facility
  • Adoption expenses paid during the year
  • Moving expenses (if new job involved, and 50 mile distance test met).
  • Estimated tax deposits/payments made for the year (Form 1040-ES)
  • Purchase & Sale of a residence- please bring the following:
    • Closing/Settlement statement on the new home you purchased during the tax year
    • Closing/Settlement statement on the home you sold during the tax year
  • Alimony received or paid
  • Self-Employment expenses (advertising, auto mileage, commissions, insurance, interest, office supplies, rent, repairs, taxes, travel, wages, etc.)
  • Copy of prior year federal and state tax returns (if prepared by a different accounting firm)
  • Names, dates of birth, and social security numbers for all members of your household and dependents not living with you.
  • Broker’s Statement of tax-exempt income.
  • Student Loan interest paid
  • College Tuition & Fees paid (for Hope or Lifetime Education Credit)
  • Child tax credit for children under age 17
  • IRA conversion to ROTH statements.

Do you need assistance with income tax returns, developing a tax strategy or have tax compliance issues? Contact us today to set up an in-house or virtual meeting with one of our experts who can get you on the right path.


Contact one of our accounting, tax planning, or business advisory specialists today to tap into tomorrow’s insights today. Everything Lawhorn CPA Group does is to help your business improve results by providing business services you need when you need them.